Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Now that was a sports massage!

With my recent Achilles tendon issues, my coach recommended another deep tissue/sports massage. Since we're so close to marathon time, it was important to address this issue asap. The Boston Running Center hosts a sports massage therapist that comes up twice a month from New York named Keith Stiles and fortunately the timing was perfect because he happened to be in town yesterday. When looking him up, his credentials are pretty impressive, including 7 years doing massage for the performers of Cirque du Soleil.

The first massage I got to try and help my IT band issue was certainly relaxing, and did address some of the IT band pain I had. But it was not a sports massage. Yesterday he focused entirely on my right leg and did a lot of really deep tissue work. It was very painful, although in that good "really working out the kinks" kind of pain. My pain was not in the tough cord part of my Achilles by my heal, but was a combination of muscle and tendon pain mid calf where the two fan together. I'm still sore today, which he warned would be the case. I should be able to try running again tomorrow so we'll see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment