Sunday, March 14, 2010

No, that was the yuckiest run ever.

I know I could have waited to do my long run till tomorrow to see if this freezing rain, cold weather and terrible wind would subside, but my logic was that the weather come marathon day could be like this so I should just learn to tough it out. It was actually more miserable than it sounds in concept. What a debacle. My 14 miles included:

  • Killing my ipod after 3 miles because it got too wet
  • Climbing on top of a stone wall through prickers on Allandale Road because the water was a foot deep
  • Trying, quite successfully I might add, to dodge the waves of water being kicked up by passing cars
  • Trying, quite unsuccessfully, to avoid stepping in very deep puddles of water
  • Watching the soap suds build up around my knees from my running pants (photo included) - there was so much water I was literally rewashing my clothes
  • Getting off route somewhere around the Chestnut Hill Reservoir and hoping I would be able to find my way back
  • Seriously contemplating how lame it would look to jump in a cab home

However, I persevered and I made it! Now, a few hours later, I did find one silver lining to this cloud. My training schedule today called for the run to be progressive, meaning that I was supposed to gradually increase my speed from start to finish. Also, my coach wanted to know my average pace for the run. I was so eager to get out of the rain that it gave me added incentive to run faster and I ended up averaging 8 minute 23 second miles, which I was incredibly happy with. Plus, I got to go to brunch afterwards which tasted all that much better.

Still no ice bath...

No comments:

Post a Comment