Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Training, day 2

I was not in the mood to go running today. I think it was a combo of running errands and such all day (and therefore, very tired) as well as the fact that it was only a scheduled 3 mile run, so I almost had myself convinced that it really didn't matter all that much. However, on days like this I like to think of a podcast I heard of Craig Alexander, Ironman Triathlon World Champion, who said that no matter how he is feeling, he always, at a minimum, starts his scheduled training, even if he doesn't finish it. It's very good advice. Just getting up and out the door is 1/2 the battle most days, but once you're moving, everything seems to work out just fine. Today was one of those days for me and I am happy to say I can check this 3 mile run off my training schedule!

3 comments:

  1. I ran the Maine Marathon in 1994 and even though I was young and very dedicated to my training regimen, I still found that sometimes I encountered roadblocks to my training.
    When I didnt want to train I would just put my running clothes on and go anyway - usually those were my better runs. Sometimes you just need a few steps and some fresh air to get started and then you are so glad you did :-)
    Thanks for running for the animals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa:

    I am glad you ran. Keep up the good work!

    I will check in with you again.

    A. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, did you get any info about your side stitch?

    Here you go!

    HOW CAN I PREVENT A SIDE STITCH?
    The most effective way to prevent a side stitch is to avoid "shallow" breathing. Shallow breathing can be defined as taking in a small volume of air with each breath, using only a small portion of the total lung capacity. When this occurs while running, the diaphragm remains in a consistently high position and never lowers enough to allow the connective ligaments of the liver to relax. The diaphragm becomes stressed and a spasm or "stitch" results.

    Instead, one should breathe "deeply", also known as "belly breathing" while running. This allows the diaphragm to fully lower and reduce the stress on it.

    Here's an exercise to try. Lie down on the floor, place a hand on your belly and breathe deeply. You are belly breathing correctly if you feel your hand raise slightly. If only your chest moves up, you are not breathing deep enough.

    A technique that is very successful in preventing side stitches while running, is to periodically "purse" the lips while exhaling, as if blowing out the candles on a birthday cake. Again, deep breathing is required to be effective. (This works best for me as well as most of the runner's I work with.)

    Another technique that helps, is to exhale as the left foot strikes the ground, instead of the right foot. The organs attached to the diaphragm on the left side of the body aren't as big as those on the right side, so there is less strain on the diaphragm.

    A. Carol

    ReplyDelete