Monday, November 9, 2009

Let the training begin!

I've officially decided that today, Monday, Nov. 9th, is my first day of official marathon training. I got 1/2 way through Hal Higdon's Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide yesterday, it's a beautiful day, I'm feeling inspired, so today is it. Game on!

My long runs don't start for a little while, so I'm spending the next few weeks slowly increasing my distance. My plan is to follow the novice plan in Hal Higdon's book, since it has worked for so many people.

Went on a very nice 4-mile trail run with my husband and dog around Ponkapoag Pond in the Blue Hills. I did get a bad side stitch about 3/4 of the way through. This has been happening to me lately, and is something I need to figure out how to fix. Suggestions anyone? Otherwise, it was a great run!

3 comments:

  1. Go Melissa!

    Hydrate, breathe slow & deep, eat a banana a day. Try stretching your arms over your head, link your fingers together and lean away from the stitch to strech it out. Great day to start!

    Woo hoo every step of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, always remember never give up and don't blow off your training that never works. You'll do a great job>

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try to breathe. If you possibly can incorporate a yoga class into your schedule the breathing that you learn and practice in yoga can be very helpful in running.
    Happy running!

    ReplyDelete